《红楼梦》中有这样的句子：“你们坐着吃吧，我可去了。”译成英文是：“Sit down and go on with your meal, I'm leaving you.”
再有一句“你尝尝罢，好吃得很呢！你林妹妹弱，吃了不消化；不然，她也爱吃。”这句连用了三个“吃”，但英译本中没有一个“eat”，而译成“Go and taste some. It's really delicious. Cousin Dai yu's so delicate, it would give her indigestion. If it were not for that, she'd like some too.”
在《儒林外史》第十一回中有这样一句：“好男不吃分家饭”译做“Good sons don't live on their inheritance.”
1. I'm ready for some dessert, Dad. You too?
2. Warren didn't speak until he finished his meal.
3. They enjoyed a superb
4. How about an omelette, or something?
5. Pug picked at food.
6. Join us for lunch.
7. I've never learned to like that stuff.
8. I'm not especially fond of raw garlic.
9. She is much better, she's got an appetite now.
10. He takes only vegetarian food.
12. This is a hard way to earn a living.
13. He has a sweet tooth.
14. You are like a toad trying to swallow a swan!
15. He went to a wedding feast.
16. What sort of food would you like?
17. Please help yourself to some more cured meat.