1. The students were warned that on no account____to cheat.
(A) they were
(B) were they
(C) they should
(D) they can
2.____make up for lost time.
(A) Only by working hard we can
(B) By only working hard we can
(C) Only by working hard can we
(D) By only working hard can we
3. Rarely____such nonsense.
(A) I have heard
(B) have I heard
(C) I do hear
(D) don't I hear
4.____perched a large black
(C) On the wire
5. Only just now____to him about the things to heed while riding a motorcycle.
(A) I talked
(B) was I talking
(C) talked I
(D) I was talked
6. John was as confused about the rules____.
(A) as were the other contestants
(B) as the other contestants had
(C) than were the other contestants
(D) than the other contestants had
7. An IBM PC 286 is as powerful____on NASA's Voyager II.
(A) than the mainframe computer is
(B) than is the mainframe computer
(C) as the mainframe computer is powerful
(D) as is the mainframe computer
8. The New Testament is a book ____ __the life and teachings of Jesus.
(A) which can be found
(B) in which can be found
(C) which can find
(D) in which can find
9. Not until the doctor was sure everything was all right ____ the emergency room.
(A) he left
(B) left he
(C) did he leave
(D) he did leave
10.____, man could die out.
(A) World War III should ever break out
(B) If should World War III ever break out
(C) If World War III should have broken out
(D) Should World War III ever break out
11. The results,____，the leading journal of science, indicate that the experimental procedure is flawed.
(A) says Nature
(B) Nature says
(C) which says Nature
(D) which Nature says
12. Across the street from the station____.
(A) stood an old drugstore
(B) it stood an old drugstore
(C) where an old drugstore stood
(D) which stood an old drugstore
13.I tried to call some friends but____.
(A) none could I reach
(B) could I reach none
(C) I could none reach
(D) I none could reach
14.____trouble you again.
(A) Never will I
(B) Not I will ever
(C) Will not ever I
(D) Never I will
15. Not until you paint your first oil color________the difference between theory and practice.
(A) you find out
(B) and find out
(C) finding out
(D) do you find out
16.________a baby deer is born, it struggles to stand on its own feet.
(A) No sooner
(B) As soon as
(C) So soon as
(D) Not sooner that
17.____the invention of the movable print, books were mostly copied by hand and cost far more than ordinary people could afford.
(C) Not until
(D) Because of
18.____ did I find out that he was dead.
(A) A moment ago
(B) Only a moment ago
(C) An only moment ago
(D) For a moment
19. Henry James is ____ is his philosopher brother William.
(A) famous and also
(B) as famous as
(C) famous so
(D) equally famous
20._____does the recluse venture
out of his hermitage.