Season 2, Episode 1: Summer Kind of Wonderful
- Look, she need time to decompress from her breakup anyway.
- Covering for me works for her, too.
- Let’s go to my place before somebody spots us.
decompress: chill out, wind down.放松，减压，释放。这句话的意思就是“Serena需要时间从分手里缓过劲来”。另外举个例子：After a hard day in the office I like to decompress with a large cup of coffee.
cover: to help someone out by
1) filling in(代替). e.g. I got a hot date, can you cover my shift (替我上班) on Friday night?
2) backup their excuse
3) going along with their lie, cosign for them, corroborate their story (替人圆谎) e.g. He told his mom that he'd been at my house all night. I covered for him.
4) provide supporting firepower for them in a shootout(枪战片里的“掩护我”) e.g. Cover my back, I'm goin' in!!!
在这里cover应该是第3个意思，S和N互相圆谎，各取所需。N可以背地里与有夫之妇继续affair(婚外情), S则可以假装已经忘记与Dan分手的伤痛。注意N在用了works for her这个短语，work意思是“有作用，有效果，有好处”。任何有效的东西，都可以说It works.
place: 住的地方就是place. 很少说go to my house, 更不说go to my home.
spot: to detect or discern, especially visually. “别人发现我们了，认出我们”，不说find, 也不说recognize，而是应该用这个spot. 另外，辨认出罪犯的模样，也用spot the culprit.
Also spotted-Serena Van der Woodsen on Copper’s beach…Alone again. We’ve heard talk that things are heating up with Nate Archibald. And where there’s smoke, there’s usually fire. But if that’s the case, why has Nate fallen off our radar and Serena, as always, sighted solo?
heat up: When two people are together and things start "heating up," whether it be holding hands, making out, fooling around or having sex. A synonym for "hook up".
if that’s the case: 如果事情真的如此
off the radar: radar就是雷达，意思说总是消失在我们视线里，连雷达都探测不到。off the radar还可以表示illegal, illegitimate: I took his money and did the job "off the radar," avoiding the IRS, the FBI, and Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
I had my eye on her.
- Speaking of, where is that story of yours? You know, the one your internship requires you turn in?
- Yes, it’s, uh, it’s imminent.
- So is death. Be more specific.
speaking of: 说到这个，说起来……这是我们经常会用到的一个短语。
imminent: ready to take place; hanging threateningly over ones head，马上就要发生的。特别强调 “命悬一线”的情况，比如danger, illness, death. 所以教授催Dan教功课，Dan回答imminent(快了，马上就好了), 教授就tease他说”so is death”，你的死期也不远了。
- Eleanor returns next week, and we are still behind. Now since I have to go to that party this weekend, I won’t be around, and therefore, neither will you.
- You can’t be finished.
behind: 指的是behind the schedule, 落后，晚了。口语里可以简单的就说behind.
I won’t be around.: 我一直都不在。注意around比here要地道。
You can’t be finished.: 你完成不了的。 用的是被动语态。
The only thing lamer than dating Dan Humphrey is mourning Dan Humphrey. And the only reason you’re still sitting shivah is because you haven’t gotten back out there and had your summer fling.
lame: 这个单词太常用了。在这里表示“傻，愚蠢”，它还可以表示“无趣”，比如冷笑话就是lame joke. 你说一个人He’s lame，就是说He is no fun.
fling: deliberately short-term sexual relationship between two people. Longer than a one-night stand, not as serious-sounding as "affair". No deep personal involvement required, just the sex and a bit of attention.
-At least I could have gotten a more interesting stand-in than James. Do you know how hard it is to find a good fake boyfriend on short notice?
-Well, he was smart and fun at tea yesterday, and he’s really cute, too.
-You don’t have to lie anymore, Serena, he served his purpose. Now that Chuck on his way back to the city, I can dump James just in time to go to the white party stag.
on short notice: 在仓促的情况下
serve one’s purpose: 符合需求，解决问题。这里表示“他可以功成身退了”。
stag: to go alone
-So you think James is and untalented Mr. Ripley?
-If you want entrees in upper class, there’s no easier mark than a wronged woman. It’s time to call in the big guns.
Mr. Ripley: Matt Damon曾经演过一部片子，叫做The Talented Mr. Ripley（天才雷普利），Matt扮演的雷普利冒充贵族身份，混迹于上流社会。
big gun: 大人物，有手段的人
You wanna check out the competition.
It’s no wonder you hate “charade.” It’s too close to home.