One will feel happy when others flatter( 奉承) him in his face. It is said that the best way of flattering someone is to give him a “top hat” 1 .
A student was going to leave the capital to become 2 official(官员) in a city far away. Before he started, he came to say 3 to his teacher.
“It is 4 job to be a good official.” his teacher said. “ you must be strict 5 yourself and never be careless.
“Don’t worry about me, sir.” The student answered. “I have already 6 one hundred top hats, which will 7 those people quite happy.”
“But we are really gentlemen! 8 could a real gentleman do such a thing” his teacher was a bit 9 . “Never forget 10 I taught you in class!”
“ 11 are always right, sir I also hate such things. But, sir, 12 no one really gentleman like you can be seen in the world now.” said the student. It seemed that he had to do so.
After hearing this , the teacher was 13 . “What you said is true!”
“I have 14 one top hat already. Now I have ninety-nine 15 .” the student said to his friend later on when he asked the student what he had talked with the teacher about.
1. A. to put on B. putting on C. wearing D to wear
2. A. a B . the C. an D. /
3. A. hello B. good bye C. OK D. thanks
4. A. not an easy B. not easy C. a good D. difficult
5. A. about B. with C. from D. to
6. A. made B. Bought C. prepared D. repaired
7. A. give B. let C. keep D. make
8. A. How B. What C. Why D. When
9. A. anger B. angry C. angrily D. angrily
10. A. that B. how C. why D. what
11.A. You B. We C. They D. Us
12. A. hardly B. about C. almost D. nearly
13. A. disappointed B. pleased C. angry D. sorry
14. A. sent out B. bought C. sold D. borrowed
15. A. left B. already C. yet D. else
1. D. wear 表示状态， put on 表示动作。根据结构give sb. sth. to do可知D为正确选项。
3. B. 因为要去另一个城市工作了, 故向他的老师道别。
4. A. 想做一个好官员, 应该说是不容易的。
5. B. be strict with sb 意为“对某人严格要求”。
6. C. 准备了一百个高帽子，其实就是奉承的好话，而不是做或是买了许多高帽子。
7. D. make sb. happy意为“使某人高兴”。
9. B. 这里应该用形容词，表示老师听了他的话有点生气。
10. D. 由what 引导宾语从句，表示不要忘了老师教过的事。
11. A. You are right表示赞同老师说的话。
12. C. 当出现 no, nothing nobody 等一系列否定词的时候，只能用almost 不能用 nearly。
13. B. 听了奉承话以后, 他很高兴。
14. A. 表示送出了一顶, 而不是买或者卖，与上文相呼应。
15. A. left 这里表示“剩下的, 剩余的”。