“It’s over! Thank goodness!” school was 1 and I was tired. I 2 at the front of the school bus.
Janie, the driver, tries to 3 the uncomfortable atmosphere by striking the match of talks. I try to listen 4 , but usually I am too 5 thinking about my day. On this day, however, her talk was worth 6 .
“My father’s ill ,” she said to no one in particular(特别地). I could see worry in her 7 . I had never seen her like this before. She always meets students 8 a smile.
With a sudden change of interest, I asked, “ what’s wrong with him?”
With her eyes wet and her voice 9 , she answered, “Heart trouble.” Her eyes lowered as she continued. “I’ve already 10 my mum, so I don’t think I can stand losing him.” I couldn’t answer. My heart ached for her.
I sat on the 11 thinking of the great pain my own mother was thrown into when her father died. I saw how hard it was, and still is, for her. I wouldn’t want to anyone to go through that.
Suddenly I realized Janie wasn’t only a bus 12 , that was just her job. She had a whole world of family and cares 13 .
I suddenly 14 very selfish. I paid no attention to Janie because she was a bus driver. I had judged her by her job and brushed her off as unimportant.
I shouldn’t have been so selfish and self-centered. 15 people is an art.
1. A. in B. off C. over D. on
2. A. ran B. walked C. sat D. stood
3. A. rest B. break C. close D. open
4. A. polite B. rude C. politely D. quickly
5. A. busy B. free C. busily D. freely
6. A. looking at B. agreeing with C. talking to D. listening to
7. A. eyes B. face C. mouth D. ears
8. A. with B. within C. without D. for
9. A. usually B. usual C. unusual D. truly
10.A. remembered B. forgotten C. lost D. missed
11. A. seat B. house C. room D. desk
12. A. worker B. driver C. teacher D. doctor
13. A. also B. either C. too D. at all
14. A. felt B. feel C. thought D. was
15. A. Looking at B. Understanding C. Getting to know D. Watching
1. C.根据上下文Thank goodness、tired的提示，可知是放学了。
5. A.be busy doing表示“忙于做某事”。
8. A.with a smile 表示“面带笑容”。
13. C.too用于句末，also 用于句中，而either用于否定句句末。