A thousand years ago, Hong Kong was covered by a thick forest. As more and more people came to 1 in Hong Kong, these trees were cut down and burnt. Now there is 2 forest left, though there are still some small areas(地方) covered with trees. We call these woods.
Elephants, tigers and many 3 animals were living in the thick forest. When people came to live in Hong Kong, the 4 began to die out. Early farmers grew rice and 5 pigs and chickens in the valleys. They cut down the trees and burnt them. They needed 6 to keep themselves warm in winter, to cook their food and to keep away the dangerous animals. Elephants quickly disappeared(消失) because there was not enough food for them. 7 did most of the wolves and tigers. Monkeys and many other animals soon 8 in the same way.
You might think that there are no longer any animals in Hong Kong 9 in the zoos. There are still about 36 different animals 10 there. One of the most interesting of Hong Kong’s animals is the barking deer. These are beautiful little animals 11 a rich brown coat and a white patch(补丁) under the tail. They look like deer 12 but they are much like a dog 13 . In Hong Kong the barking deer has only a real enemy(敌人)— 14 . People hunt these little animals though it is illegal(违法的). There are now not many barking deer left. So it is important 15 people to protect (保护) wild animals.
1. A. work B. study C. live D. enjoy
2. A. many B. a few C. no D. not
3. A. other B. others C. the other D. another
4. A. people B. animals C. plants D. things
5. A. grew B. made C. got D. kept
6. A. fire B. hotness C. heat D. stoves(炉子)
7. A. So B. Such C. As D. Nor
8. A. lived B. died C. came D. left
9. A. besides B. except C. and D. or
10. A. live B. to live C. lived D. living
11. A. have B. without C. with D. get
12. A. high B. higher C. short D. shorter
13. A. shouting B. crying C. barking D. talking
14. A. tigers B. men C. wolves D. elephants
15. A. to B. for C. like D. of
3. A.many other animals 表示其余的许多种动物，但不代表世界上所有的动物，故不选the other 。
5. D.keep 这里表示“饲养”，而grow意思是“种植”。
9. B.besides 表示“除了……还有……”，而except“除……之外”。故选except表示除了动物园其它地方就没有动物了。
10. D.There be sb./sth.+ doing 为固定搭配。
15. B.“It be + 形+for sb. + to do” 表示对某人来说做某事怎样(简单、困难、重要……)而of sb.表示人的性格或品质，如kind, bad, nice 等。