Granny Sarya lived outside Moscow. Her only son 1 to Afghanistan(阿富汗) and was killed in action there.Soon after that, her husband lost his job. The old man was always 2 food and clothes.And on a winter night he went out alone when Sarya was asleep. The next morning he was 3 dead in a cold lake. And his worn-out coat was 4 in a tree not far away. Sarya was so 5 that she nearly took her own life.
Things got worse and worse after that. She always lived in hunger and cold. She had hoped that the government(政府) could help her but she 6 .
It was a cold windy night. The old woman couldn't 7 asleep at all. She had to get up. She decided to write a letter to God(神), asking for 8 . She wished God to give her 100 rubles (卢布), so she could buy some food for herself. When she 9 writing it, she found she had no 10 . She had to put the 11 at a crossing. 12 the next morning a policeman found the letter. He read it to his comrades.They were all so 13 that they gathered some rubles and sent them to the poor old woman.
At first Granny Sarya was happy. But after she 14 the money, she became 15 and said, “I'm told that all things that are touched by the policeman will be only a half left!”
1. A. sent B. ran away C. was sent D. escaped
2. A. worried about B. pleased with C. thinking about D. hearing of
3. A. known B. found C. told D. fallen
4. A. put B. hanged C. shown D. hung
5. A. sad B. happy C. tired D. clever
6. A. succeeded B. failed C. won D. lost
7. A. go B. fall C. get D. help
8. A. coats B. food C. houses D. help
9. A. ended B. started C. finished D. enjoyed
10.A. stamp B. money C. pen D. paper
11.A. food B. letter C. coat D. rubles
12.A. Badly B. Carefully C. Luckily D. Wonderfully
13.A. excited B. moved C. amazed D. surprised
14.A. saw B. received C. gave D. counted
15.A. angry B. thankful C. helpful D. worried
4. D.他的衣服被挂在树上。hang – hanged –hanged 此时的hang 作“绞死”讲，hang – hung –hung 意为“悬挂”。
7. B. fall asleep 固定短语，入睡。
9. C.finish writing 写完信。