The United States covers a large part of the North 1__ continent (洲), when this land first became a nation. After 2 its freedom (自由) from England, it has 13 states. Each of the states had a star on the American flag (旗子). As the nation 3 , new states were formed and there 4 new stars on the flag. 5 a long time, there were forty-eight states. In 1959 two 6 stars were added (加) to the flag, standing for (代表) the new states of Alaska and Hawaii.
7 were the first people of the land and great number of people came from England. It is 8 that reason that the language of the U.S. is English and 9 its culture and customs (文化习惯) are more 10 those of England than any other country in the world.
1. A. America B. America's C. American D. Americans
2. A. win B. won C. winning D. have won
3. A. grew B. grows C. growing D. have grown
4. A. are B. were C. have been D. had been
5. A. In B. From C. For D. Through
6. A. another B. many C. other D. more
7. A. India B. Indian C. Indias D. Indians
8. A. on B. for C. because D. because of
9. A. that B. why C. many D. all
10. A. as B. like C. same D. as if
8. B.这是强调句。for that reason意思是“由于这个原因”。
10. B.be more like意思为“更像……一样。