Ballpoint pens have made life easier for millions of people. At one time 1 did not like their students to 2 with pen. Perhaps it was because pens can leak(漏) and it is 3 to spill(溢出) the ink. And it is hard to write on thin or cheap paper with them.
Ladislao Biro 4 for a newspaper in Budapest. He spent all day 5 his desk. Day in and day out, he corrected 6 of thin, cheap paper with a pen and ink. He often had to stop to 7 his pen and it did not write 8 on the thin paper. He and his brother George 9 some experiments. They wanted a pen that did not leak, with ink that did not spill. Why not 10 a little ball at the end?
Two Englishmen, Henry Martin and Frederick Miles, like the 11 .It was the 12 of the Second World War. The Air Force 13 a non-leak, non-spill pen for the men to write with in 14 . Martin and Miles made and 15 many thousands of Biro “writing-sticks” to the Air Force.
1. A. factories B. schools C. shops D. restaurants
2. A. play B. write C. come D. meet
3. A. easy B. hard C. free D. popular
4. A. left B. waited C. looked D. worked
5. A. on B. near C. at D. in
6. A. mistake B. books C. pages D. diaries
7. A. mend B. fill C. brush D. change
8. A. well B. down C. out D. up
9. A. kept B. finished C. began D. studied
10.A. find B. wear C . grow D. use
11.A. matter B. result C. meaning D. idea
12.A. day B. time C. break D. year
13.A. bought B. took C. needed D. preferred
14.A. planes B. ships C. trains D. buses
15.A. sold B. lent C. moved D. passed
2. B.用笔写可用“write with pens”来表达。
5. C.at one’s desk意思是“坐在桌前”。
6. C.批改文稿可用correct pages来表达。
7. B.往笔里装墨水可用fill the pen with ink。这里省略了with ink。
10 .D.Why not +动词原形。
12. B.the time of 表示“……的时候”。