Answer key 18
1. Sending flowers to his girlfriend every day is the only way he can think
of to gain her favor.
2. The legislator's being involved in the fraud is rather obvious.
或 The legislator's involvement in the fraudis rather obvious.
3. The student denied having cheated in the exam.
4. The researcher is certain about having found a solution.
5. The residents were not aware of being exposed to radiation.
或The residents were not aware of their exposure to radiation.
6. I consider this a most unfortunate incident.
7. John's coming to school late every day cannot go on much longer.
8. His being named the new CEO came as a surprise to everybody.
9. I would like you to look after the kids for me this evening.
10. It is a privilege to live in these monumental times.
原为名词从句what you should do，简化为B。
原为They are treated with respect.，简化为C以维持被动态，并以动名词形状置于介系词to之后。
lie (说谎）是不及物动词。“别人对我说谎”要这样表示： People lie to me.改成被动态是： I am lied to (by people).这个句子再简化为动名词就是being lied to。
原为 about the possibility that he will fail in the exam，简化为B。
原为名词从句that you must give me a call，简化为A。
原为名词从句that they will get married，简化为A。
选择不定词to say以求和前面的to say对称。两个to say都可视为名词从句that you should say的简化。
原为名词从句that one cuts off all ties...，简化为A。
原为名词从句that I would be involved...,简化为C。