Unit 1 How often do you exercise？
Ⅰ.Analyis of teaching material
1.The topic of this unit is about free time actmties。Suchtopicisrelated to students’daily life. So it is helpful toraise learning interest of students. If students can learn this unit well，it will be helpful to make students learn the the rest of this book.
2 .Teaching Aims and Demands
(1) Knowledge Obj ect
In this unit students learn to talk about how often they do things.
To improve students’ability of listening，speaking，reading and writing.
To help students form a good eating habit.
To do exercise every day and keep fit.
3 .Teaching Key Point
To master the key vocabularyand the target language presented in this unit.
4 .Teaching Difficult Point
To train students how to use the key vocabulary and the target language by reading and writing.
5 .Studying Ways
Teach students how to use context.
Teach students how to do a survey.
Talk about how often you do things.
What do you usually do on weekends?
I sometimes go to the beach..
How often do you eat vegetables?
Most of the students do homework every day.
Adverbs of frequency
always，usually，often，sometimeshardly，ever，never, exercising，shopping，skateboarding once，twice，three times a week，month, every day, milk，junk，food, drink
reading，watching TV，go to the movies, fruit，vegetables
1. Learn to talk about how often do you do things
2. To learn the words of the adverbs of frequency.
1.words: exercise, skateboard, hardly, ever, shop, once, twice, time, surf, internet, program.
2.phrases:how often, on weekends, go to the movies, exercise, go skateboarding, always , usually , often , never , hardly ever , sometimes .
3.Sentence patterns: What does she /he do on weekends ? She often goes to the movies .How often do you shop ? Once a week / Twice a week ••• .
Teaching Aids: Tape recorder;Multi-Media.
Step 1 ：Greeting.
1. Teacher: Summer vacation is over. I think you had a wonderful vacation, am I right? Did you enjoy your summer vacation? Could you please tell us what you did in your summer vacation?
2. Encourage students to share their holidays with the whole class.
Step 2 ：Leading – in
Teacher: Oh, you had a happy and colorful vacation. Today we will talk about more activities on weekends. First, let’s think about what we can do on weekends. (Ask some questions and let students think it over).
Teacher: I often sing on weekends, what do you usually do on weekends?
S1: I often take piano lessons.
Teacher: What does she usually do on weekends? (Ask another student)
S2: She often takes piano lessons.
Teacher: What about you? (Ask S2)
S2: I often play basketball
Teacher: What does he usually do on weekends? (Ask another student)
S3: He often plays basketball.
(Ask more students in the same way)
Step 3：1a Look at the screen. Make a list of the different weekend activities.
First let students list different activities, then
Teacher: Now work in pairs, ask and answer
---What does he/she do on weekends?
--- She goes shopping. / She reads books. / He exercises. / He watches TV. / She goes skateboarding.
Step 4：1b Listen and write the letters from the picture above on the lines below.
Get students to focus on the six adverbs in activity 1b and help students to understand:
Always-100% usually- 90% often-80% sometimes-50% hardly ever-10% never-0%
Teacher: I always read English books on weekends.
I usually exercise on weekends.
I often go to visit my grandparents.
I sometimes go shopping on weekends.
I hardly ever play computer games on weekends.
I never play cards on weekends.
What does your English teacher do on weekends?
(Help students to say)
Students: Our English teacher always reads English books on weekends. She usually exercises on weekends…..
Teacher: I exercise every day. I go shopping once a week. I watch TV twice a week. I go dancing three times a month…
How often does your English teacher exercise/ go shopping / watch TV / go dancing?
Students: Our English teacher exercises every day….
Step 6： Listening (2a and 2b)
Teacher: My friend Cheng is talking about something about his different activities, let’s listen and number the activities you hear.
Teacher: Listen again. How often does Cheng do the activities above?
(Help students to finish 2a and 2b)
Step 7：.Do a survey:
Activities How often
Take a shower
Wash your hair
Clean your room
Ask and answer: How often do you take a shower?
How often does he / she take a shower?
Let Ss ask and answer in pairs, using always, usually, often, sometimes, hardly ever or never.
1. Do exercises on pages 1-2 of the workbook to practice the language presented in this unit.
2. Remember what we learn today.
3. Write a passage about what you often do on weekends and how often you do different activities.
1. Students can learn to talk about activities and how often to each other
2. Students can listen, talk ,read and write these words correctly
1. Words: high school, most, no, result, active, for as, for about
2. Phrases: for as, for about
3. Sentence patterns:How often do you shop? I shop once a month.
How often does Cheng watch TV? He watches TV..
Teaching Aids:Tape recorder; Multi-Media.
Step 1 ：Greeting.
Step 2 ：Lead – in
T: Do you like English ?
S1: Yes, I do.
T: Do you want to improve your English?
S1: Yes, I do.
T: What can you do to improve your English?
S1: I can read English books to improve my English.
T: How often do you read English books?
S1. I read English books every day.
Practice more phrases in the same way. (Look at the screen)
Step 3 ：Groupwork: Who’s the best English student?
1. T: Just now we talked about what you could do to improve your English? (eg. read English books, practice reading and speaking )and How often do you ••• ?
Now please think of more things you can do to improve your English and write them down in the chart on page 3.
How often do you…? once a week twice a week three times a week once a month
read English books
sing English songs
watch English movies
T: Now let’s see who is the best English students in the class .
Step 4 ：Lead-in:
Teacher: Just now we talked about different activities about learning English. From the chart we know you can do many activities to improve your English. You did a good job. Now let’s look at another chart of the student activity survey at Green High School.
Green High School: Activity Survey
Activity everyday once or twice a week three or four times
Exercise 15% 10% 75%
Do homework 95% 0% 5%
Watch TV 85% 2% 13%
(Help students to say: 15% of the students exercise every day. 10% of the students exercise once or twice a week. 75% of the students exercise three or four times a week… Then present the following)
Step 5 ：Reading
1． Get students to read the magazine article on Page 3 and finish the passage, then check the answer.
2． Answer the questions about the survey:
1）What do the students of Green High School usually do at school?
2）Do they all exercise once or twice a week?
3）How many students watch TV every day?
4）What do fifteen percent of Green High School students do every day?
5）Do the students of Green High School do the same activities as you? Yes or no?
Can you say something about the activities that the students of your school do?
Step 6: Explanation
1. Here are the results of the student activity survey at Green High School.
（1）the results of……的结果。如：
the results of the English contest 英语比赛的结果
（2）as a result由于, 因此。如：
As a result, Tsinghua becomes the first-class university.因此，清华成为一流的大学。
（3）at Green High School在格林高中 在学校用介词at。如：
at Junior School在初中at Primary School在小学
2. Most students exercise three or four times a week.大多数学生一周锻炼三或四次。
（1）exercise v. 锻炼；exercise n. [U]运动;[C]练习
Let’s do our exercises.让我们做练习吧。
Walking is a good exercise.散步是很好的运动。
（2）time次数time and time again千万次的
（3）three or four times a week 一周三四次
…times a week / month / year一周/月/年多少次，
巧辨sometime ， sometimes ，some time，some times
sometime ， sometimes ，some time 和some times形似而含义不同。下面的口诀能够帮助我们辨别它们的含义及用法。
1). I’ll stay here for some time.
2). My father will be back sometime in October.
3). Our school is some times larger then theirs.
4). I watch TV three times a week.
5). My good friend Wu Min often goes to school by bike, but sometimes on foot.
3.as for homework谈及到家庭作业 as for sth. /sb. 谈及某事/某人
（1）as for the book Harry Potter 谈起《哈利•波特》这本书
（2）as for my father 谈到我的父亲
1. Li Lei likes going ______(skateboard) on Sundays.
2. Mother often goes _____ (shop) after work.
3. How often _____ he ____ (do) his homework?
4. He watches TV ____ (two) a week.
5. Zhang Jian speaks English very well, so he is very ____ (activity) in English class.
1. “____ do you visit your uncle?” “ Three times a month.”
A. HowB. How long C. How often D. How soon
2.As ____ my homework, I do it every day.
A. about b. for C. ofD. on
3.Meimei listens to music ____.
A. sometime B. sometimesC. some times D. some time
4.My brother ____ like singing ____ dancing.
A. don’t , and B. doesn’t , andC. doesn’t , or D. don’t, or
5.Jack hardly ever exercises, so he is kind of ____.
A. healthy B. unhealthyC. healthD. unhealthy
6.How often does she ____.
A. watching TVB. surfs the InternetC. go to the movies D. exercises
7.There are few ____ in the fridge. Let’s go and buy some peas, carrots and cabbages.
A. vegetablesB. fruit C. meatD. eggs
8.Most students exercise ____ a week.
A. once or twice B. one time or two times
C. one time or twiceD. once or two times
9.--- ____ do you go to Qingdao?
--- Only once.
A. How oftenB. How longC. How many times D. How far
10. “60% of students like reading English.” means “____ students likes reading English.”
A. All B. MostC. SomeD. No
1. There is little money left. (改为同义句)
There is _____ _____ money left.
2. Maybe Kate knows the answer. ((改为同义句)
Kate _____ _____ the answer.
3. She plays the violin on weekends. (对划线部分提问)
_____ _____ she _____ on weekends?
4．The students never surf the Internet. (对划线部分提问)
______ ______ ______ the students surf the Internet?
5. Sam does his homework at home. (改为否定句)
Sam _____ _____ his homework at home.
Step 8: Homework:
1. Revise the new words.
2. Preview Section B.
3. Write a short passage to describe the best English student in your class, telling what he/she does to improve English and how often he/she does these things.
Learn to talk about how often they do things to keep healthy.
junk food, milk, coffee, chips, cola, chocolate, drink, health, how many, interviewer.
2.Phrases: how many, be good for, be bad for, every day.
3.Sentence patterns:How often do you drink milk, Liu Feng?
How many hours do you sleep every night?
She says it’s good for my health.
Teaching Aids: Tape recorder; Multi-Media.
Step 1 ：Greeting.
Step 2 ：Lead-in
1. T: I had eggs for breakfast this morning, and I have eggs for breakfast every day. Because they’re good for my health. And they’re nutritious. What about you? What do you have for breakfast?
S1: I have milk for breakfast.
T: How often do you drink milk?
S1: I drink milk every day.
T: Do you like it ?
S1: Yes, I do. / No, I don’t.
T: Why do you like it? S1: Because it’s good for my health/ it tastes delicious.
T: You don’t like it, but you drink it every day, why?
S1: Because my mum wants me to drink it. She says it’s good for my health.
2. T: What about you , what do you have for breakfast?
S2: I have instant noodles for breakfast .
T: How often do you eat instant noodles?
S2: I eat instant noodles three or four times a week.
T: Do you like them?
S2: Yes, I like them very much.
T: (Let students compare them and tell who is healthier)
Who is healthier, S1 or S2?
Yes, S1 is healthier. Because milk is good for our health. And instant noodles are not healthy, they are bad for our health. They are junk food.
T: I know most young people like eating junk food. But I think you’d better not eat too much junk food, because they’re bad for our health. Let’s look at the screen and find out which ones are healthy and which ones are unhealthy?
• ---Yes, it is. / They are.
• No, it’s /they’re unhealthy.
• ---Because it’s /they’re good/bad forhealth.
Step 3： Pairwork (1a 1b).
T: Now work in pairs, talk about how often you eat the food in the pictures.
A: How often do you …?
B: I …every day/ twice a day/ three times a day/ four times a week..
A: Do you like it/ them?
B: Yes, I do. / No, I don’t. But my mom wants me to drink. She says it’s/they’re good for my health.
Step 4. Listening ( 2a 2b)
1. T: What does healthy mean? If I eat a lot of junk food but never exercise, am I healthy?
T: If I eat lots of fruit and vegetables and drink milk every day, am I healthy?
T: Now, we will hear a reporter interviewing two people, Bill and Katrina. Listen and decide if Bill and Katrina are healthy. Circle your answer to each question.
2. T: What are Bill and Katrina’s answers to these questions? Listen again and write down the correct adverbs of frequency.
Step 5. Groupwork (2c)
Role play. Student A is the interviewer. Student B is Katrina. Student C is Bill. Try to act the conversation out .They can use their own words.
Step6: Homework :
1. Finish the exercise in this period.
2.Using the information in 2a &2b, write a report about Bill’s and Katrina’s eating habits.
1. Learn following expressions:
2. Learn to write one’s own habits.
1.Words: habit, try, lifestyle, grade, better, same, as, different, difference, maybe, although, for, keep, must.
2.Phrases: eating habits, look after, healthy lifestyle, unhealthy lifestyle, good grades.
3. Main task: How to write a composition of one’s habits.
Teaching Aids: Tape recorder; Multi-Media.
1. Free talk:
2. Ask and answer
How often do you exercise? How often do you eat vegetables/fruit/junk food?
How often do you drink milk/coffee/tea? How many hours do you sleep every day?
（Use he/she/they ask and answer these questions. ）
Step 2. Presentation and reading (3a)
T: Last period we learned Section B 2a and knew Bill and Katrina’s lifestyles ,do you remember? Are they healthy?
Ss: Yes,Katrina is healthy while Bill isn’t healthy.
T: Good. Now Katrina writes a letter about her lifestyle to her pen pal , let’s listen to a part of her letter and answer some questions:
1. How often does she exercise?
2. How often does she drink milk?
3. Does she eat junk food very often?
4. Do you think she has a healthy lifestyle? Why or why not?
5. Is her lifestyle the same as yours or different? What are the differences?
Step 3. Fill in the blanks (3b)
T: We know Bill is kind of unhealthy. And he also writes a letter .Let’s fill in the blanks in Bill’s letter.
(After Ss have finished, check it)
Step 4. Writing (3b)
T: Are you healthy or unhealthy? Now, it’s your turn to write about your own habits.
Step 5. Survey
Add five questions to the survey on page 81.(1. How often do you exercise? 2. What sports do you play? 3. How often do you eat vegetables?)Then ask three classmates the questions and take notes. Discuss and describe: Who is the healthiest student?
Step 6. Exercise:
1. We need ________ (health) food.
2. Who is the ________ (interview)?
3. He does his homework ________ (well) than me.
4. What are the __________ (different) between Lucy and Lily?
5. I’m sorry to keep you ________ (wait) for me for a long time.
1. Healthy food and exercise _____ me to study better.
A. let B. makeC. helpsD. help
2. He ____ at school .
A. may beB. maybe C. may isD. may
3. “How long did you sleep last night?”“______.”
A. Twice a nightB. For nine hoursC. Two timesD. Once or twice
4. If you want to be healthier, you must eat ____ meat and do ____ exercise.
A. less, more B. fewer, muchC. less, muchD. many, more
5. Our teacher wants us ____ English hard.
A. study B. to studyC. studies D. studying
6. She says it’s good ____ my _____.
A. for, healthB. for, healthyC. at, healthD. at, healthy
7. ____ he is ill, ____ he goes to school.
A. Although, butB. /, /C. Although, /D. But, although
8. The boy is ____ fat because he eats ____ junk food.
A. much too, too muchB. much too, much too
C. too much, too muchD. too much, much too
Step 7. Homework:
How healthy are you? Write a passage about your own eating habit.
Period Five: Self check and Revision
Step1 Greetings & free talk
Work in groups, discuss which kind of life is healthy.
Do a report according to the discussion.
Fill in each blank with the correct word given.
Then make your own sentence with each word.
Step4 Key phrases:
1. how often 多久一次
2. as for至于，关于
3. junk food垃圾食品
4.eating habit 饮食习惯
6.look after 照顾， 照看
7. start with 以……开始
8. make a difference 使得结果不同，有重要性
9. go shopping 去购物
10.have a party 聚会
11. go to the movie 去看电影
12. once a week 每周一次
13. hardly ever很少
14. twice a week每周两次
15. three times a week每周三次
16. watch TV看电视
17.on weekend 在周末
18. do homework做作业
19. a lot of 许多
20. try to do尽力做某事
21. help sb (to) do sth. 帮助某人做某事
22. the same as和……相同
23.keep in good health保持身体健康
Step 5 Grammar
1) What do you usually do on weekends?I often go to the movies.
What does she do on weekends ？She often goes to the movies.
What do you usually do on weekends?I often go to the movies.
(watch TV、read books 、exercise、clean、skateboard、 play basketball、wash clothes、go shopping、go to movies)
How often do you exercise/… ?
Task one “Find my group members.”
2. Presentation and drill
（1）教师指着屏幕说：“ Now let’s see my activities on weekends. How often…?屏幕上出现各项活动的图片并介绍。 I always read books at 6:00 in the morning. Then I usually run at 6:30. I often clean my house in the afternoon. Sometimes I watch TV, but I never watch TV too much. I hardly ever go to the movies.
always(100%)usually(80%) often (30-50%)
sometimes(20%)hardly ever(5%) never(0%)
教师依次提问： What do you do on weekends?
引导学生用图片中的活动及副词回答，如：I usually run.
（4）Task: Making cards
每个学生把自己的课外活动做成卡片，再把频率副词做成卡片，然后一个学生问What do you do on weekends? 另一个学生分别拿一张活动卡片和频率卡片并用其进行回答。
(5)常见的频度副词有never(从不), sometimes(有时),often(经常),usually (通常), always(总是).
never sometimesoften usuallyalways
在 be 动词之后:
I’m usually ill on planes.
Are you usually at home on Monday?
He isn’t usually ill on planes.
I usually work on Friday.
I sometimes go to London.
3. all, most , some和none的用法。
（1）all (所有的，全部的人或物)，any (任何一个)， none (都不)。 以上词使用范围为三者以上。
All the flowers are gone. 所有的花都谢了。
I don't like any of the flowers. 这些花我都不喜欢。
I like none of the flowers. 这些花我都不喜欢。
All of the students are there. 所有的学生都在那。
All (of) the milk is there.所有的牛奶都在那。
（2）. some 一些
2) 当做"某一"解时，也可与单数名词连用。（= a certain）
You will be sorry for this some day.
A certain (some) person has seen you break the rule.
Most boys like playing football.大部分男孩都喜欢踢足球。
I always spend most time learning English.大部分时间我总是花在学习英语上。
Revise Unit One and Prepare to have a test.
初三英语《Unit 2 I used to be afraid of the dark》教案
- 初三英语《Unit 3 Teenagers should be allowed to choose their own clothes》教案
- 初三英语《Unit 4 What would you do》教案
- 初三英语《Unit 5 It must belong to Carla》教案
- 初三英语《Unit 6 I like music that I can dance to》教案