一Teaching Aims and Demands
1. Knowledge Objects
(1).70% of the students can read and write the key vocabulary:
death, afford, cause, himself, patient, in the end, decision, make a decision, head teacher, necessary, to one’s surprise, exactly, even though, no longer, take pride in, pay attention to, give up, waste, not…any more
(2). Key structures:
通过本节课的学习，熟练运用used to 结构
.His mother couldn’t afford to pay for her child’s education.
.Even though my father was no longer with us, he was watching me, and would always take pride in everything good I do.
2. Ability Objects
To train students’ reading ability.
3.Emotion and attitude goals:
Get the students to know their shortcomings in the past. Encourage the students to make themselves more perfect in their life and study in the future.
通过同桌交流，小组合作，对自己、家人以及同学和朋友现在和过去的比较，掌握used to 的用法，并掌握描写人物的技巧和方法。
3. Teaching Aids
A tape recorder
Step 1. Greetings and Lead-in
1. T: Did your parents help you with a problem before? How did they help you? Please discuss in groups and take notes. Such as :got bad grades ,get on badly with your students ects.
2. Students discuss and teacher walks around to help. Students read their story
Zhang Ming didn’t use to study hard at school. He didn’t use to listen to the teacher carefully in class. He didn’t use to make notes .He used to go to school late. He got bad grades. Later on, his father knew this, he helped him to understand that it was important to do well at school .Now he listens to the teacher carefully、studies hard and goes to school early.He gets good grades.He has becomes a good student in class.
Step 2. Fast reading
1 Ask the students to read the story of page 16 and answer the following questions
read and discuss in pairs then answer .
1.)How old is Martin now?
2.)What made him change a lot?
3.)Did Martin’s father use to help him?
4.) Did he use to give his mother many problems?
5.)What changed Martin’s mind?
2. Pay attention to 3a, analyze the sentences.
3. Read the article and fill in it with the sentences in 3a.
4. Check the choices together.
The keys :1.after his father’s death a few years ago
2. and didn’t give up trying to help him
3.even the teacher agreed that Martin was wasting his time
4.That’s when I decided to change
5.How was he able to change
5. Read again and circle “true”, “false” or “don’t know”.
6. Check the work. 1F 2T 3T 4Don’t know 5F
Step3 Careful reading
1. Follow the tape. Read again and guess the meaning of the new vocabulary:
death, afford, cause, patient, decision, to his surprise, take pride in, pay attention to
2. Answer students’ questions about understanding the article. Then add others that students don’t mention. Get the students to find out the following phrases and take notes.
a fifteen-year-old boy, a "problem child', a recent conversation with…, changed one’s life, give… many problems, after…’s death, a few years ago, become much more difficult, not afford to pay for…, not often at home, look after…, caused problems for…, not interested in studying, get into trouble with…, give up trying to help…, in the end, made a difficult decision, send…to a boys' boarding school, cause a lot of trouble, one day, leave the school, waste one’s time, talk with…, called…, to one’s surprise, change one’s life, be no longer with…, watch …, pride in…, be afraid of being alone, make… pay more attention to…, work hard, a top student in one’s class, feel good about…
1) give up 放弃 后跟动词时用v-ing形式。
e.g.Li Ping didn’t want to give up learning English.
2) get into trouble 陷于困境，遇到麻烦，出事。
e.g. The boy got into trouble when he left home to live in London
3）take pride in 以------ 为荣
e.g He takes pride in his son .
Step4. Talk about Martin using the pattern, Try to retell the story.
Before his father’s death …
After Martin’s father died:
Martin’s life ______________________________.
His mother ___________________________.
Martin problems: ________________________.
In the boarding school, Martin ______________.
Martin’s mother _________________
in her call.
Now, Martin has changed
I.Choose the best answers for the questions.
1. Sweety used to ______ a good time
A. be B. was C. have D. has
2. Sky comes to school early, and _____.
A. so do I B. so am I C. so does I
3. Youl look different ; You _____.
A. changed B. have changed C. changing D.often changes
4.What words can you _____ talk about the pictures .
A . used to B . use to C . look for D. look up
1. Mark used to be afraid of the teachers．
2. I haven’t seen you for four years.
The little girl usually read books in the sun.
= The little girl _____ ____ read books in the sun.
I. A A B B
II. 1. 马克过去怕老师。
3. My friends have changed a lot
4. My uncle used to be a Chinese teacher
III . used to
Step 6 Summary
Ask one or two students to tell what they learned in this class.
Step 7. Homework
Remember the words.