1. Not long ago I wrote a letter to a friend, ____ almost got us into a quarrel.
2. England, ____ is justly proud of her poets, is today ranked behind the continent in poetic achievement.
3. You are the only friend ____ he will listen to at all.
4. Choose the correct sentence:
(A) I have bought a book, the cover of which bears a picture of The Hague.
(B) I have bought a book; the cover of which bears a picture of The Hague.
(C) I have bought a book, the cover of which, bears a picture of The Hague.
(D) I have bought a book, of which bears a picture of The Hague.
5. This is the one encyclopedia upon ____ I can depend.
6. ____ likes good food and cheerful service would like the Regent Hotel.
(A) Who that
7. This custom, ____,is slowly disappearing.
(A) of many centuries ago origin
(B) which originated many centuries ago
(C) with many centuries origin
8. I find it very unfair when ____ I do is considered mediocre or a failure. I can be depressed for days because of ____ happens.
I. (A) that
II. (A) who
9. ____ is elected President,corruption won't cease.
10. Neither success nor money, to me at least, is the criterion ____ we are to be judged.
(B) to which
(C) under which
(D) since which
11. I'm afraid I'd never be able to see Jane again, ____ very much.
(A) that I love
(B) I love
(C) I love her
(D) whom I love
12. Didn't you know that all ____ is not gold?
(A) which glitters
(C) who glitters
(D) that glitters
13. I have a present for ____ his hand first.
(A) whoever raises
(B) whomever raises
(C) anyone raises
(D) whoever that raises
14. Boys ____ in the dorm make a lot of friends.
(A) who live
(B) who lives
(D) that living
15. The final decision will be up to ____ everyone trusts.
(A) Judge Clemens, whom
(B) Judge Clemens, who
(C) Judge Clemens whom
(D) Judge Clemens who
16. ____ he has in his pocket, it's not a gun.
17. Abandoned flower pots are ____.
(A) where do mosquitoes thrive
(B) mosquitoes thrive there
(C) where mosquitoes thrive
(D) what mosquitoes thrive
18. The author wrote his first novel ____ he was working as a hotel clerk.
19. ____ held upside down, the fire extinguisher begins to spray
(A) When it is
(B) When they are
(C) Whenever they are
(D) During it is
20. I need to know ____ the library is open.
(D) if it