Most parents, I suppose, have had the experience of reading a bedtime story __1__ their children. And they must have realized how difficult it is to write a __2__ children’s book. Either the author has aimed (定目标) too __3__, so that children can’t follow what is in his ( or more often, her ) story, __4__ the story seems to be talking to the readers.
The best children’s books are __5__ very difficult nor very simple, and satisfy(令人满意的) the __6__ who hears the story and the adult(成年人) who __7__ it. Unfortunately(不幸的是), there are in fact few books like this, __8__ the problem of finding the right bedtime story is not __9__ to solve. This may be why many of the books regarded as __10__ of children’s literature(文学) were in fact written for __11__ “Alice in Wonderland” is perhaps the most obvious(明显)of this.
Children, left for themselves, often __12__ the worst possible interest in literature. Just leave a child in a bookshop or a __13__ and he will more willingly choose the books written in an unimaginative (并非想象的 ) way, or have a look at the most children’s comics(连环图书), full of the stories and jokes which are the rejections of teachers and righting-thinking parents.
Perhaps we parents should stop __14__ to brainwash(洗脑)children into accepting(接受)our taste in literature. After all, children and adults are so __15__ that we parents should not expect that they will enjoy the same books. So I suppose we’ll just have to compromise(妥协)over the bedtime story.
1. A. to B. in C. with D. around
2. A. short B. long C. bad D. good
3. A. easy B. short C. high D. difficult
4. A. and B. but C. or D. so
5. A. both B. neither C. either D. very
6. A. child B. father C. mother D. teacher
7. A. hears B. buys C. understands D. reads
8. A. but B. however C. so D. because
9. A. hard B. easy C. enough D. fast
10.A. articles B. work C. arts D. works
11. A. grown-ups B. girls C. boys D. children
12. A. are B. show C. find D. add
13. A. school B. home C. office D. library
14. A. going B. liking C. trying D. preferring
15. A. same B. friendly C. different D. common
1. C.read to somebody 意为“读给某人听”，to后面接动作的对象。
2. D.根据下文可知，存在的困难在于如何把孩子们的书写好。故选 good。
3. C.书中的内容让孩子们无法理解，说明作者的目标定得高。故选 high。
4. C.与前文either 对应，这里应用or. “either…or” 意义为“要么……要么……”。
5. B.与下半句的nor 对应，这里应用neither。 “ neither…nor…” 意为“既不……也不……”。
10. B.名词 works 意为“作品”。
12. A.show interest in something 意为“对……感兴趣”。
14. D.try to do something 意为“想法设法做某事”，符合当今社会实际情况，为正确选项。