1. Only in this way ______ progress in your English.
A. you make B. you be able to make
C. can you make D. will you able to make
2. I’m quite willing to help and ______.
A. so are the others B. the others are so
C. so do the others D. the others do
3. This is your work. In no case _______ to leave your post.
A. are you B. you are
C. can you D. you can
4. Not until recently ______ any idea what a guided missile was like.
A. could I have B. had I
C. I had D. did I have
5. So ______ that even the people in the next room could hear him.
A. loudly he spoke B. he spoke loudly
C. loudly did he speak D. loudly spoke did he
6. Only when one loses freedom ______ its value.
A. does one know B. one does know
C. does know one D. know one does
7. ______ their support, we’d be in a very difficult position.
A. It were not for B. Were it not for
C. Not for it D. If it were not
8. He never went to see her again, ______ write to apologize.
A. nor did he write B. nor he did write
C. he did write D. nor he wrote
9. ______ to sleep than the telephone rang once again.
A. No sooner had he gone B. No sooner did he go
C. He no sooner went D. He had gone no sooner
10. He is really beautiful, and _______ when she had children.
A. so was her mother B. so is her mother
C. her mother was so D. her mother is so
1—5 CAADC 6—10 ABAAA